SNAP 005
You may be eligible for SNAP if you meet these guidelines:
(guidelines valid through September 30, 2016)

Number of people in household Maximum Gross Monthly Income
(before taxes and deductions)
1 $1,276
2 $1,726
3 $2,177
4 $2,628
5 $3,078
6 $3,529
7 $3,980
8 $4,430


Eligibility depends on your household’s size, income, expenses, and other factors. If you are elderly or disabled, you may still qualify even if your income is slightly outside these guidelines. The income guidelines change every October, so even if you have been denied before you may be eligible now.

[accordion title=”Who is in my household?”]

  • Individuals who are married and living together must be included in the same household
  • Individuals living together who purchase and prepare food together must be included in the same household
  • Children under the age of 22 living with their natural, adoptive, or step-parents must be included on the same SNAP case as their parents, even if they purchase and prepare meals separately


[accordion title=”I own a car and have a savings account, do I still qualify?”]

Yes, you may qualify if you have assets including a car, a home, a savings account or retirement savings.


[accordion title=”I do not have children under 18, am I eligible?”]

Able-bodied adults without dependents must meet work requirements to get SNAP for more than three months in a 36 month period.

To meet the work requirements you must either: 1. Work at least 20 hours per week or 80 hours per month for some form of compensation 2. Participate in and comply with one of these: – Workforce Investment Act Program assignment – Trade Adjustment Assistance Program Assignment – Employment and Training (E & T) Program (Not including job search)

You do not have to meet work requirements if you are: 1. Younger than 18 or older than 50 years of age; 2. Medically certified as physically or mentally unfit for employment; 3. Responsible for the care of a dependent child younger than 18 years or an incapacitated person of any age; 4. Pregnant; 5. Receiving or have applied for unemployment insurance benefits; 6. Regular participant receiving treatment for drug or alcohol addiction in a rehabilitative program on a resident or non-resident basis; 7. Eligible student enrolled at least half-time in any recognized school, training program, or institution of higher education; 8. Registered for or participating in the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Work; or 9. Employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week or receiving weekly earnings which equal the federal minimum wage ($7.25/hr.) multiplied by 30 hours.[/accordion]

[accordion title=”I am a student, am I eligible?”]

Student eligibility restrictions only apply to those who are at least 18 years of age but under age 50. If you are aged 18-49 and enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher learning, you must meet ONE of the following requirements to be eligible:

  • You are employed at least 20 hours per week (average 80 hours per month)
  • You participate in a state or federal work-study program
  • You are a parent caring for a child under age 6
  • You are a parent caring for a child under age 12, and your DHS worker determines that adequate childcare is not available to enable you to attend class and work an average of 20 hours per week or participate in a state or federally financed work study program.
  • You receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • You are a single parent who is enrolled in college on a full-time basis and who is caring for a child under age 12.
  • You have been placed in an institution of higher education through one of these – The Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA – The SNAP food benefit Employment and Training Program (SNAP-ET) – The Job Opportunity and Basic Skills Program (JOBS) – A state or local government employment and training program for low-income individuals.


[accordion title=”I am not a US citizen, am I eligible?”]

Some non-citizens are eligible for SNAP:

  • Refugees and asylees
  • Lawful permanent resident adults who have lived in the US for at least 5 years
  • Lawful permanent resident children under 18 (regardless of how long they have been in the US)

Applying for SNAP will not affect your immigration status. If you are a legal immigrant and you get SNAP, it will not hurt your chances of becoming a citizen.

Undocumented immigrants cannot get SNAP. However, the children of undocumented immigrants can get SNAP if they are citizens or legal permanent residents, even if other household members are ineligible because of their immigration status. OKDHS does not report undocumented aliens to the INS for applying for SNAP benefits for their children unless they present USCIS information that appears to be forged or if they present a formal order of deportation or removal.


[accordion title=”If I get Tribal Commodities (FDPIR) am I still eligible for SNAP?”]

In Oklahoma, you cannot receive SNAP and Tribal Commodities in the same month.